The Chili Open 5K Fun Run/Walk and 1k Children’s RunFebruary 1, 2014
5K starts at 10am
Kids 1 mile run starts at 10:30am Wheeler Farm (6351 South 900 East, Murray Utah)
To help you prepare, we have put together a top 10 list of things to know for the event.
- Packet pick up begins in the Wheeler Farm pavilion at 8 am and ends at 9:45 on Saturday February 1st. Your packet will contain your bib that you must wear during the race.
- The 5K begins at 10am on Saturday February 1st. The kids 1 mile run will start at 10:30am.
- You will run two full laps around the course. Watch for red balloons marking lap one and yellow balloons to mark lap two and blue balloons to mark your way to the finish. There will be volunteers to help you navigate the course.
- Keep in mind that there will likely be ice on the course. We are working hard with Wheeler Farm to prepare the course and address all safety issues to provide you with the best possible race, but please make sure your race gear is in good working order.
- The forecast is calling for snow so make sure you are prepared to run through a beautiful winter wonderland.
- Your well behaved four legged friends are welcome to run on leash with us.
- There will be some exciting race day surprises allowing us to nationally spotlight out great Utah running community so be prepared.
- Online registration ends at 10 pm the night of Friday January 31st. It is filling up fast but we still have some spots left so encourage your friends and family to come run with you.
- Onsite registration will begin in the Wheeler Farm pavilion at 8am Saturday February 1st and close at 9:30 so bring your family and friends to run with you.
- Have fun and enjoy the run/walk!
One hundred percent of race proceeds are split evenly among the six benefitting local charities. These charities include:
- Cancer Wellness House
- Carmen Pingree Center for Children with Autism
- People Helping People
- Reach Out & Read
- The Sharing Place
- Teen Challenge-New Hope House
Winter Festival To Follow
Your entry to the 5K also gets you to the Winter Festival, which is also at Wheeler Farms. The food at the Winter Festival is chili and all the fixins (from The Fiddlers Elbow in Sugar House), salad, hot dogs, bagels, donuts, desserts, etc. Activities include: traditional golf in the snow and Frisbee golf, Kids games, crafts, face painting, balloon art, story-telling and more. It’s a real family friendly day for fun and making new friends.
Tickets for the Winter Festival are $7 per person or a family of four or more for $25. All registered runners will receive a wrist band allowing them to take part in the food and festivities. In addition, their families can come to the event for $17 (for the balance of the family of four or more) or again, $7 per person.
Chili Open History
The 23rd Annual Chili Open is presented by the Rotary Club of Sugar House as its signature community service event raising money for local charities. Since the first Chili Open in 1992, which raised $36,000, this event has now raised $4,100,000 all of which stay in our community to help our friends and neighbors that need us most.
This two-day, high-profile features a Gala and Silent Auction takes place on Friday, January 31, 2014 at the Little America and a Family Winter Festival, Golf Tournament and Charity 5K run on Saturday, February 1, 2014 at Historic Wheeler Farm. This event is an opportunity for smaller, local charities to share the costs and benefits of producing two major fundraising events, which typically are too labor intensive for organizations with limited staff and resources.
The Rotary Club of Sugar House and the Chili Open beneficiaries are so grateful to Brooksee and the Brooks family for generously giving their time, talents and resources to produce this race as a true, 100% Charity 5K Run.